Happy Father’s Day to all the brothers out there. Much respect to the black men raising their children and being responsible parents. This is a great music video by rap group ED OG and Da Bulldogs. This was released back in 1991 and we need more songs like this on the radio.
Here are some suggestions to facilitate fathers to stay on the right path.
1. Fathers, should always be in prayer and pray with and for their children, families, and communities. Leading prayer openly and inclusive of all family and even community members.
2. Fathers, make mistakes, but own up and admit them. Fathers work to correct mistakes they have made. Working not to repeat them and modeling for the next generation.
3. Fathers, discipline children with love and not with physical violence, verbal degrading or emotional manipulation. Fathers should know their children and what type of relationship to build for the future.
4. Fathers, take their children to church and bible study to learn the Word of God.
5. Fathers, are not perfect so must ask God for wisdom, direction and discernment each day.
6. Fathers, don’t blame others for their weakness, but work to strengthen themselves in the Word of God.
7. Fathers, will not “follow the guys” when they are disrespecting women, this sets an inappropriate and dangerous model for their sons to follow and what their daughters should tolerate in behaviors.
8. Fathers, don’t block their children’s anointing with ungodly actions and behaviors.
9. Fathers, ask for discernment to recognize the signs of trouble before they happen. Modeling is important to guide behaviors.
10. Fathers, model respect for the church and work in the church.
11. Fathers, anoint their children with prayer for protection and mercy.
12. Fathers, model respect for their daughter on how to be treated.
13. Fathers, promote education in the household.
14. Fathers, talk to their children about drugs and sex before the street do.
15. Fathers, do not whine about what “HIS” daddy did not do for him, but follow a model indicative of Godly men.
16. Fathers, do not blame where he came from for his short-comings. He focuses on where he is going and the hard work necessary to get there.
17. Fathers, take the time to visit their children’s school and talk with teachers about their children’s progress.
18. Fathers, will happily sacrifice for their family so they may have what the need.
19. Fathers, accepts responsibility for their children’s actions. Remembering that the apple does not fall far from the tree.
20. Fathers, will go visit their children and spend time with them even though he may not be present in the home. Taking responsibility for a life that they helped create.
21. Fathers, aren’t afraid to show love, compassion and sympathy to their children, children still need reinforcement that they are loved and respected.
22. Fathers, spend time just being together with their children and doing things their children like and will remember, not just buying things that will be forgotten later in life.
23. Fathers, teach your child to be responsible and accountable for their actions.
24. Fathers must model and teach respect, honor, patience, ethics and fear of the Lord and man’s laws.
Article by William D. Jackson