I will have a feeling of love and responsibility for all Black children, be
they my own biological descendants or not. The extended family is a traditional
way of life for us, therefore all Afrikan adults are potentially correct Black
– I will teach what is right and what is wrong.
– I will respect my children and will demand respect from them.
– I will strive to produce in the home harmony, stability and an atmosphere of
trust and love. I will provide opportunities for learning and will instill a
sense of pride by teaching our past and present history.
– I will have control and power in the home, being that the home is the smallest
example of a Nation — and if the home is not together you cannot deal with
– I will find the best possible educational institutions for my children and I
will participate in some way in the institution.
– I will seek to establish and perpetuate those moral attitudes and values which
will add to my children’s personalities and characters; virtue, knowledge,
temperance, patience, godliness, brotherliness, kindness and charity.
– I will develop a deep inner love that flows over and around the Black child to
form a shield of protection, guidance, wisdom and strength.
– I will assume the responsibility for cultivating the development of Black
youth. This cultivation process occurs mentally (through skill development);
physically (through the sharing of food, clothing and shelter); emotionally
(through the commitment to the national development of Black people); and
spiritually (through the living out of a superior value system).
– I will be about collaborating with others like myself, creating an atmosphere
whereby Black children can grow and develop their potential in effective and
– I will be responsible for strengthening the positive qualities of the child
and for correcting negative characteristics. I will maintain and nurture
positive stability in the Black family.
– I will be a model of the intellectual, emotional and moral discipline
necessary to the child’s understanding of, relationship to, and responsibility
for the total Black experience — past, present and future.
– I will have as my goal harmony within and freedom without; with confidence in
the knowledge that the ultimate in freedom is service to mankind. My whole
person and lifestyle will transmit these same values to the young.
– I will help every Black child to develop the skills to survive. I will teach
that the highest good in life is to serve Black people, helping all Black people
in the struggle to survive.
Mwalimu I. Mwadilifu